Trying to be healthy is not a fad. Looking after yourself and eating healthy should be a way of life. In today's busy busy life we often forget ourselves and our bodies cry out for some love and care. In my attempt to lead a more balaced and healthy life I have been reading up on superfoods and their benefits and have been trying to make them a part of my routine. In this recipe I am using two Superfoods - Goji Berry and Chia Seeds.
Goji or wolfberry is the fruit of Lycium barbarum (Chinese: 寧夏枸杞; pinyin: Níngxià gǒuqǐ) and Lycium chinense (Chinese: 枸杞; gǒuqǐ), two very closely related species of boxthorn in the family Solanaceae . It is native to southeastern Europe and Asia. They have a lot of health benefits and have been used in Chinese Medicine for a long time.
I found a great website that explained all the health benefits of Chia Seeds. It is both inspiring and informative - The Wellness Warrior
1. Chia is gluten free
2. It is super high in dietary fibre, making it great for digestion and healing digestion issues.
3. It contains 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia has eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
4. It boasts 20% protein
5. The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids
6. It is high in antioxidants (It has a four times higher ORAC value than blueberries)
7. Chia contains five times more calcium than milk
8. Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges
9. It contains three times more iron than spinach
10. It contains twice the potassium content of banana
11. It is food for healthy skin, hair and nails
12. It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it awesome for diabetics)
13. Chia makes a great egg replacement. Just combine with water to form a gel, and add it to recipes that call for egg.
This smoothie uses both goji berries and chia seeds and is a wonderful healthy way to start the day.
|Mixed berry, Goji Berry and Chia Seed Smoothie|
|Frozen Mixed Berries|
|Goji Berries & Chia Seeds|
Recipe Print RecipeYields 1 glass
Mixed berries (I used frozen berries)
250 ml Light Milk/Almond Milk
1 tbsp Honey
5-10 g Goji berries
1 tsp Chia Seeds