Monday, April 8, 2013

Chilli, Lemongrass and Vegetable Hokkien Noodles

Dear Readers,


I am always telling hubby to take lunch from home whenever he does not have lunch time meetings.What are your favourite lunch box meals? I don't care whether it's your kids lunch box or your own, what is your favourite meal to pack and eat at school/work? 


When I was at school, lunch time was always fun, we would chatter endlessly with friends and share food. Many kids would get curd rice and a vegetable side dish (it was South India!) some lemon rice, some sandwiches and some the famous maggi noodles. As we have already established just how spoilt I was, I will tell you that my mother usually packed parathas for me with a veg side dish or achar (pickle) accompanied by a nice cold juice or a milk shake and some fruit, and since I lived very close to school my tiffin was sent at lunch time - piping hot and fresh! To say I was the envy of my lunch time circle is not an understatement. 


A lot of our friends are having babies, scares me a little as we are sort of entering another phase in our lives. I often wonder what kind of a mother I would make. I know I do put my mother on a pedestal but I seriously cant help it she's just that wonderful. Will I be half that wonderful? I don't have any kids as yet, but we do plan to have a family in a few years. No rush, but one can't help but wonder. Sometimes self doubt creeps in, will I be able to inspire and be patient/loving and selfless. Will I make food that the kids would adore? What will I pack for their lunch box? Ahh the mindless list of questions continues...and then reality hits me. No kids as yet! 


Kids or no kids this vegetable hokkien noodles is a yummy lunch box meal. It can be prepared ahead of time and is full of flavour and really healthy too. The only time consuming aspect is chopping all the vegies, use a food processor if you have one, it will really cut down the prep time. So dear readers, once again what is your favourite lunch box meal?


Love,

Cookie




Recipe                                                                                                        Print Recipe

Serves 3-4
Ingredients

400 g Fresh Hokkien Noodles Packet

300 g Mushrooms sliced

2 Red capsicum sliced

3-4 Carrots - julienned

8 Asparagus - trimmed and cut into 5 cm pieces

1 cup broccoli florets

2 cups chopped spring onions

4 tbsp grated Ginger8-10 cloves of garlic - crushed

3 lemon grass - finely chopped (optional)

5-6 Long Red Chillis- finely chopped

4 tbsp light soya Sauce

1 tbsp Dark Soya Sauce

11/2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar/White Vinegar

2 tbsp Sambal Oelek (chilli paste)

2 tbsp chopped basil leaves

1 cup Coriander leaves

1 tsp White pepper

3 tbsp Peanut Oil

Deep fried Shallots - for Garnish


Method

Boil 2 l of water in a kettle and then pour it into a large bowl. Immerse the Hokkien Noodles in boiling water and cover it. Keep it aside till ready to add to the dish.

Chop all the vegetables and set aside. In a wok heat the oil and then add all the lemongrass, ginger and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes and then add the chopped red chilli and the spring onions leaving a little for garnish. Now add the broccoli and carrots (as they take longest to cook) and cook till they are a little soft but still crunchy. Add the asparagus and capsicum, followed by the mushrooms. Now add the light soya, dark soya, rice wine vinegar, Sambal Oelek and pepper. Give it a good mix so that everything is well combined. 

Now add half the coriander leaves and all the basil leaves and give a good mix. Now add the hokkien noodles to the wok and mix so that it is well coated with the sauce and vegetables. noodles are ready to be served. Place a good serve of noodles on a plate and garnish with red chilli, coriander and deep fried shallots. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment