Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Apple, radish and walnut salad with garlic and horseradish dressing

I began to 'inspirate' while watching last night's episode of My Kitchen Rules (those who have been watching the show will understand the joke!) Anyways I was salivating looking at the girl's Sausage with apple and radish salad dish. I was salivating of course looking at the salad. The combination of sweet crunchy apples with peppery radishes and lemon juice and rocket. Drool...

I absolutely had to whip it up today and eat it. I think I even dreamt about it last night. I know I know its just a salad, but the heart wants what the heart (tummy) wants.

I didn't know what exactly went in the dressing so I decided to experiment a little. I found a really easy mayonnaise recipe online which I used to make a creamy herb, garlic, horseradish dressing (whats not to like) Lots of big flavours that really worked well together. 





Recipe

Serves 4


Ingredients

For the Dressing (makes about a cup)

1 egg
1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tbsp chopped dill
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
2-3 tsp Red wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
1 clove garlic grated ( if you don't like raw garlic, just use half a clove, or roasted garlic)
1/2 tsp horseradish
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt to taste


For the Salad

500 g Mixed Salad Leaves
1 medium sized Green Apple
8 small radishes
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
1/4 bunch fresh dill 
1/2 bunch fresh parsley


Method

Crack the egg into the jar of the immersion/stick blender. (you can use a food processor too if you like) Add the salt pepper, dijon mustard, garlic and give it a whizz while slowly pouring the oil down the side.

Add the rest of the ingredients like dill, vinegar, lemon juice and horseradish. Keep whizzing till everything is nicely combined and you get a beautiful pale green creamy dressing.

Here's the recipe for the mayonnaise by The last Appetite which I modified to make the dressing. 




Finely slice the apple and radish into wafer thin rounds. Finely chop the dill and Parsley.
Wash the leaves and put them in a bowl. Add the apple, radishes, dill, parsley and walnuts to the bowl. 




Add 4 tbsp of the dressing to the salad (add more if you need) and mix it thoroughly so that everything is coated with the dressing.Add some shaved Parmesan on top and now its ready to be served.





Hubby and I enjoyed two big bowls of this tonight. Its a perfect summer salad.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment